Thursday, June 1, 2017

Iceland to Scotland Walkabout

OK, headed out the door again. Going to try to walk, camp, hitch-hike across Iceland, and then take ferries down to Northern Scotland, stopping in Faroes, Shetlands and Orkneys. I bought a one-way ticket to Reykjavik and will buy a return from somewhere I decide that i have to head back home...maybe Glasgow.

Been training by walking 3-4 hours at a time with the full pack, but realistically, no idea how much jam I have left of this type of travel, and whether my parts can handle sleeping on the ground 3-4 nights a week.


Mt Maelifell, Iceland

Going to walk out of Reykjavik and head towards this volcano


Iceland Itinerary

My planning is very loose. I check out infrastructure and sights to see, and then just sort of flow along according to how things are going, who I meet and conditions on the ground. I have a list of all the campgrounds and hostels along the way, as well as bus routes I might have to use.

Map below was current best guess in middle June for Iceland. May change my mind and just head to north Ring Road from Reykjavik. I really enjoy not knowing...as long as I know my options.




Scotland

After I leave Iceland, will take a few ferries down to Scotland and search out the Achnanclach Bothy in northern Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment